Living Tips for England

Crossing Roads

In England, there are many road crossings that you need to be aware of. The zebra crossing is an area of the road painted with broad white stripes, where vehicles must stop if pedestrians wish to cross. Look left and right before you cross and as a safety precaution do not always expect the cars to stop for you.

Another crossing is the Pelican crossing, you will notice zig-zag lines and traffic lights. To cross, you must press a button on the device that will enable the light to change from green (where the cars are allowed to keep driving) to red (where the cars have stop and let you cross). Make sure you cross when the lights are red for the cars and a green ‘walking’ man appears on the device to let you know you can cross. Look left and right before you cross as a safety precaution.

Travel Smart

Travel is expensive! Save 1/3 on travel with the 18+ Oyster card and the 16-25 Railcard. Link them together for the biggest discount. Never get into an unlicensed taxi, always pre-book and agree the rate before you get in. Stay safe and don’t get swindled. Download useful travel apps, the best one we would recommend is Citymapper, it shows you optimal options how to get to your direction, giving you many secondary options, as well as costs of each journey and updates on traffic or delays. London Undergraund is divided into 6 Travel Zones, One way Undergraund journey costs from £2.40 - £2.80 withing Zone 1-2, and can reach £4.80 for Zones 3-6. However on your everyday life there is quite unlikely you would need to travel beyond Zones 1-2.  For someone who wants to save monely buses can be a good choice, as they are flat rate which is £1.60 per one journey, and you can change busses without paying extra as long as you do so withing 30 min.

Get Prepared

Get ready to your student life and make sure to organise the following: 1.) Subscribe to Netflix - a streaming service that allows  to watch a wide variety of award-winning TV shows, movies, documentaries, which can be a great way of imrpoving your English. 2.) Sign up for student discount cards, and shopping loyalty cards (Tesco, Boots etc,)  3.) Register with a Hospital to get free medical services and being able to visit GP (Doctor) whenever you need it. 4.)  Register your address with Metropolitan Police Office within 7 days from your arrival. 5.)  Download useful travel apps, such as City mapper 6.)  Get an undegraund travel card - Oyster, which will help you to save on travel fares 7.) Sign up with local Library to get access to free internet and study materials. That’s sound like a lot, but don’t worry SSE team will help you to sort it everything out as soon as you arrives to the city!  We will make sure your first days are as comportable as possible, and instead of stressing out about things you will better spend your time exploring the city and hanging out with new classmates.

Part-time work for international students

Many students in the UK will have part-time work whilst studying at university. International students can also do this if it is needed. Students typically work in hospitality or retail. For an international student, there may be restrictions of how many hours a student can work. There is usually information on a sticker in your passport indicating the exact hour which is usually around 10 or 20 hours. Not all students need to have part-time work, but some may if the extra money is needed. The university or school will also provide information about how many hours you should work in order to get effective time-schedule when studying.

Student Semester Europe Ltd, 96 High Street Kensington, W8 4SG, London, England.
Registered England and Wales Reg. 09350631